International Women’s Day on March 8th is a day devoted to celebrating the social, economic, cultural, and political achievements of women around the world. It’s also a day to highlight the challenges still faced by many women in achieving true equity. This year, let’s use this special day as an opportunity to celebrate and empower all the extraordinary women in our lives. Here are 5 creative ways you can honor International Women’s Day and make it a day to remember!
What is International Women’s Day?
In order to truly make a difference for women all over the world, it’s important to understand what International Women’s Day is and why it exists.
International Women’s Day is celebrated annually on March 8th. The day originally started as a way to celebrate women’s achievements and call for gender equality. Now, it’s a global day that celebrates the social, economic, cultural, and political achievements of women. It’s also a time to reflect on how far we still have to go in terms of achieving gender equality.
There are lots of ways that you can get involved with International Women’s Day. One way is to attend or organize an event. There are often marches or rallies held on this day to support women’s rights. You could also volunteer with or donate to organizations that help empower women and girls around the world.
No matter how you choose to celebrate International Women’s Day this year, remember that every action counts in the fight for gender equality!
History of International Women’s Day
The first International Women’s Day was observed on March 19, 1911, in Austria, Denmark, Germany, and Switzerland. More than one million women and men attended rallies calling for women’s rights to work, vote and hold public office. In 1913, commemorations were held in Prague and Zurich; in 1914, in London, Paris, and New York City.
The United Nations began celebrating International Women’s Day in 1975. The UN General Assembly has declared a day for women’s rights and world peace every year since.
In some cultures, International Women’s Day is a time to celebrate feminine achievements; in others, it is a time for reflection and assessment of the progress made toward gender equality. Here are some creative ways you can celebrate this year:
1) Get involved with your local women’s shelter or crisis center and volunteer your time or donate needed items.
2) Collect donations for a women’s empowerment organization of your choice.
3) Have a movie marathon of inspiring films about strong women such as “Erin Brockovich” or “The Help” – or better yet watch documentaries like “She’s Beautiful When She’s Angry” or “Miss Representation” to learn more about the fight for gender equality.
4) Buy products from businesses owned by women – including books authored by female writers, art created by female artists, or clothing designed by female fashion designers.
Why Celebrate International Women’s Day?
There are many reasons to celebrate International Women’s Day! This day is a reminder of how far we have come in the fight for gender equality, and it is also a time to reflect on the progress that still needs to be made. This year, take some time to celebrate the incredible women in your life and show your support for gender equality with these creative ideas.
1. Write a letter or make a card for the extraordinary women in your life. We all have at least one woman who has had a profound impact on our lives. Why not take some time to let her know how much she means to you? Write her a letter expressing gratitude or make her a card celebrating her achievements.
2. Make a donation to a local or national organization working to empower women and girls. There are many great organizations doing important work to improve the lives of women and girls around the world. Find one that aligns with your values and make a donation, big or small.
3. Plan an event or gathering in honor of International Women’s Day. Organize a screening of an inspiring film about women’s rights, host a discussion panel on gender equality, or put together a fun night out with your girlfriends to celebrate feminine power!
How to Celebrate International Women’s Day
There are lots of ways to celebrate International Women’s Day! Here are some creative ideas:
1. Make a donation to local or international women’s charities.
2. Host a women’s empowerment event at your local community center or school.
3. Volunteer at a local organization that supports women and girls.
4. Plan a girls’ night out with your friends! Go out to dinner, see a movie, or just have some fun together.
5. Share inspiring quotes and stories about strong women on social media using the hashtag #InternationalWomensDay.
6. Write letters of appreciation to the strong women in your life – your mother, grandmother, aunt, sister, friend, etc.
International Women’s Day is an important day to celebrate the progress that women have made throughout history and to inspire more progress in the future. This year, let’s come together to recognize and honor some of these special achievements by using one or more of these creative ways we’ve shared today. Whether it’s through hosting a virtual gathering, giving back to those in need, or participating in social media campaigns, every action counts towards making this world a better place for us all — men and women alike!